After many delays and almost a year since the last stable m0n0wall
release, I'm happy to announce the immediate availability of m0n0wall
1.2. Several new features have been added, existing ones have been
improved, the webGUI has been made even easier to use, and many bugs
have been fixed.
This release marks the end of a long beta cycle with 9 beta releases,
including a short excursion into using FreeBSD 5.3 as the base
operating system, which proved to be impractical. It is clear though
that FreeBSD 4.x is approaching the end of its life, and alternatives
must be sought. The discussion about the future of m0n0wall (in terms
of base operating system and architecture) will be launched soon on
this mailing list.
The most important changes in this release:
- IPsec certificate support
- improved firewall rule handling in the webGUI
- RFC 2136 DNS updater
- more diagnostics pages (Traceroute, ARP, firewall states)
- PPPoE/PPTP dial-on-demand
- DHCP relay service
- bigger filter state table (30000 entries)
- logging for PPTP VPN and captive portal; firewall log filtering
- RADIUS accounting for PPTP VPN
- captive portal improvements (HTTPS login, RADIUS, etc.)
- console speed no longer fixed to 9600 bps
- IDE hard disk standby option for generic-pc
- more NIC drivers; support for polling
- all components updated to the latest version
- countless small improvements in the webGUI
- many bug fixes
Upgrading from 1.11 or any of the 1.2b versions shouldn't cause any
problems. There are two things to keep in mind, though:
- The firewall is no longer bypassed for traffic that enters and
leaves through the same interface (due to static routes) by default.
This is now a configurable option on the advanced setup page.
- If you've been using OpenVPN in earlier 1.2b versions, make very
sure after upgrading that all your rules still point to the right
interfaces (the OpenVPN pseudo-interfaces will be removed). Better
yet, restore the configuration backup you made before you enabled
OpenVPN (as per the suggestion in the webGUI) prior to upgrading.
Downloads are available at:
Full change log: