[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Question: Command to busy the CPU?
 Date:  Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:04:21 -0400
On 10/10/05, Keith Hatfull <keith at hatfull dot net> wrote:
> Just curious, is there a command available I can issue via exec.php that
> will keep the CPU close or at 100%?  I'm trying to test my passive
> cooling and want to be sure I see how it works with the CPU maxed.

If the box is slow enough that you can max out the CPU with network
traffic, I'd do that (less than ~400 MHz or so should suffice,
depending on NIC's, maybe up to 700-800 MHz or so with crappy NIC's on
100 Mb full duplex).

Add a 3rd interface if you don't have one already, and run long iperf
full duplex tests between the LAN and OPT interfaces.  As long as you
don't have polling enabled and don't have a fast CPU, that'll max out
the CPU and should be an even better test since you're stressing other
components as well.  Running a couple instances of the webGUI, one
with the CPU SVG graph and one with a traffic SVG graph, should also
help chew up a little more CPU.

-Chris