[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Upgrade problem with 1.2
 Date:  Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:21:53 -0500
John Benjamin wrote:
> This makes me curious of what other Net45xx users are seeing with
> upgrades. Are others seeing this problem too?
>
> And why would the upgrade from 1.11 to 1.2b10 have worked for me but
> this upgrade won't?  I can't think of any changes I've made to the
> config.
>
> I kill'd a number of procs and had mem usage down to 62% but the
> upgrade still had a failed upload due to memory. How much free memory
> (%) is required for inplace upgrades?
>
> FWIW, this is a remote upgrade I am trying to accomplish, over the
> WAN port. If push comes to shove I can go flash the card but that
> would be a big bummer.

In like Flynn... My 4501's upgraded without a hitch. The "mem usage down
to 62%" statement makes me think you have 32MB on your 4511. My 4501's
are using only 35-36% of memory. I don't use Captive Portal, DHCP, or
Traffic shaping. Also I only have 10 firewall rules on my WAN interface
and 5 inbound NATS.

My suggestion would be to backup your config. Then "reset to factory" -
thus killing all the "extras" (like shaping & captive portal). Then
start killing processes...

James W. McKeand