[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Question about shaping regarding high latency
 Date:  Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:51:17 -0500
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:00:34 -0400 (EDT)
blondguyg at seezar dot com wrote:

> Maybe someone with more traffic shaping experience can comment, but from
> what I'm seeing regarding your rules setup, that first rule pretty much
> negates the rest of the outgoing WAN traffic rules you have in place.
>
> On Mon, October 10, 2005 8:36 am, Russell Reader wrote:
> > Yeah but it has a 0-100 size limit

	He's right, if he started with the Magic Shaper Wizard the
"small packet upload" rule only applies to packets less than 100 bytes
in size.

	I think someone else posted something similar a month or two back,
and the answer was they replaced their cable modem?

	We actually had something the other day where one user was
downloading something big (I suspect via FTP since the traffic monitor
didn't categorize it as HTTP) on our T1 and all other Internet access
was extremely problematic for all other users.  Most packets weren't
going through, etc.  As soon as the download stopped it was fine.  The
only thing I could think of was that traffic was streaming into the T1
so fast as to create a denial-of-service type of situation(?).  Pinging
through m0n0wall to our T1 router seemed to work just fine so I think it
was a T1 issue.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Expert Opinions $5 ... I Shut Up $10