[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jack Challen <jack underscore challen at ocsl dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Accessing ADSL Router box on WAN side of m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:12:47 +0100
Hi all,

Just upgraded to m0n0 1.2, and it's just as great as I'd hoped. Thanks!

I'm using m0n0wall to protect my home network (192.168.3.0/24) from the
internet. I'm connected to the internet by an ADSL router (D-Link
DSL300-T) running in bridge mode, then doing the PPP authentication from
m0n0wall as PPPoE. This is (or has been) utterly, utterly reliable.

The one thing I want to do is to get access to the router's (sucky) web
interface from inside my LAN. My router's configured as 192.168.3.222,
but it's obviously on the WAN side of the firewall. You can still access
it while it's in bridge mode, but because it's on the "wrong" side of
the firewall, ARP requests don't make it across; it's a private network
connected to the public interface.... you get the idea.

I thought I might be able to do Nasty Stuff with the Proxy Arp, but it
doesn't appear to do what I mean. Am I using the wrong tool? Is this
even possible? (I can shift the DSL's IP address if it makes things easier).

Hopefully unnecessary network diagram:

192.168.3.0   |      L| m0n0 |W       |192.168.3.222|
/24  (LAN)    +-------+ .3.1 +--------+ADSL Router  +---Internet

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I have looked.

thanks in advance.
jack