[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Searching for a solution
 Date:  Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:13:41 -0400
Searching for a solution

During the last few months I have participated in this list, the
subject of having a forum has come up once or twice. Now I'm not going
to rehash the forum vs list approach. Instead, I'll offer the ways I
have found to be useful when trying to search for a solution. Who
knows, maybe this could become part of the documentation :)

1. I have a google gmail account someone gave me way back when. It
allows me to receive all the mail from the list, accessible from any
computer anywhere. I setup a filter to automatically parse any email
from the list into a separate sub-category. Since I have somewhere
around 2500MB of email space, there's no need to delete anything and I
can "Star" anything I'd like to bookmark. I have plenty available
emails, so if you want one, drop me an email off-line and I'll send
you a link.

2. Searching the web using Google. You enter your search terms in the
search bar as you normally would, and then append the search terms
with "site:m0n0.ch" . This has the effect of searching only the
"m0n0.ch" domain for your given search keywords. This approach works
great for other unrelated searches as well.

ie. ipsec client site:m0n0.ch

3. GMANE web list reader.  This is a free web based news reader which
will allow you to read messages in threaded fashion as well as
blog-like. This web front-end also supports searching using keywords
too. Since this approach is not direct, I am not sure how often the
Gmane servers are up to date. It's proably on the order of most NNTP
servers.

http://gmane.org/
http://gmane.org/find.php?list=m0n0
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.firewalls.m0n0wall

4. NNTP news reader. Most email application have these included.
nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.firewalls.m0n0wall

5. Traditional email client.

6. The m0n0wall List Archive Page. This page will allow you to search
and view, but not post. http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/

7. m0n0wall Handbook http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/

Feel free to add your tips and tricks

- Don