[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Searching for a solution
 Date:  Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:13:41 -0400
Searching for a solution

During the last few months I have participated in this list, the
subject of having a forum has come up once or twice. Now I'm not going
to rehash the forum vs list approach. Instead, I'll offer the ways I
have found to be useful when trying to search for a solution. Who
knows, maybe this could become part of the documentation :)

1. I have a google gmail account someone gave me way back when. It
allows me to receive all the mail from the list, accessible from any
computer anywhere. I setup a filter to automatically parse any email
from the list into a separate sub-category. Since I have somewhere
around 2500MB of email space, there's no need to delete anything and I
can "Star" anything I'd like to bookmark. I have plenty available
emails, so if you want one, drop me an email off-line and I'll send
you a link.

2. Searching the web using Google. You enter your search terms in the
search bar as you normally would, and then append the search terms
with "site:m0n0.ch" . This has the effect of searching only the
"m0n0.ch" domain for your given search keywords. This approach works
great for other unrelated searches as well.

ie. ipsec client site:m0n0.ch

3. GMANE web list reader.  This is a free web based news reader which
will allow you to read messages in threaded fashion as well as
blog-like. This web front-end also supports searching using keywords
too. Since this approach is not direct, I am not sure how often the
Gmane servers are up to date. It's proably on the order of most NNTP

4. NNTP news reader. Most email application have these included.

5. Traditional email client.

6. The m0n0wall List Archive Page. This page will allow you to search
and view, but not post. http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/

7. m0n0wall Handbook http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/

Feel free to add your tips and tricks

- Don