[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tarun Kundhi" <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  hardware: specs for high bandwidth
 Date:  Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:39:37 -0500
I've been running m0n0wall 1.11 for approx 1 year on an 400MHz PII Dell with three NICs (WAN, LAN
and DMZ) and have been pleased.  Its a great project. Those involved have done a wonderful job.
Thank you.

In the coming months we will be moving into a new office and will have some high bandwidth
requirements, particularly between our LAN & DMZ interfaces. Our WAN connection will probably be 5
Mbps. We will be moving lots of large files from the DMZ interface to the LAN interface so I need a
Gigabit Ethernet between the two.

Is m0n0wall up for this? I want to build a rack mount box (1U or 2U) with 2 Gigibit NICs for the DMZ
and LAN, plus 1 10/100 NIC for the WAN. Anyone have information on what kind of throughout I can
expect between the DMZ and LAN interfaces? I welcome recommendations on processors, RAM and NICs
also.

The Netgear FVS124G is an example of commercial appliance that looks like it might meet our needs.
However, I have not read good reviews about it. The dual WAN  feature on the FVS124G would be a
bonus not a requirement. Again I prefer to build my own m0n0wall box.

Thanks,

t.