[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Kerem Erciyes <k underscore erciyes at zegnaermenegildo dot it>
 To:  Tarun Kundhi <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] hardware: specs for high bandwidth
 Date:  Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:50:25 +0300
Sure you can. For example...

1. 1 GHz EPIA-TC with CF reader
2. Rackmount EPIA case with active PCI riser
3. 2 gbit intel nics, one dual if you want to forego vr0 interface
(should handle 5 mbits though)
4. 64 Mb CF for m0n0wall image
3. 1 GB DDR RAM (I use 256 and no problems yet)

There are ready boxes on the net, that have similar config but why
should they have all the fun.
Happy hacking,
Kerem Erciyes

Tarun Kundhi wrote:

>I've been running m0n0wall 1.11 for approx 1 year on an 400MHz PII Dell with three NICs (WAN, LAN
and DMZ) and have been pleased.  Its a great project. Those involved have done a wonderful job.
Thank you.

>In the coming months we will be moving into a new office and will have some high bandwidth
requirements, particularly between our LAN & DMZ interfaces. Our WAN connection will probably be 5
Mbps. We will be moving lots of large files from the DMZ interface to the LAN interface so I need a
Gigabit Ethernet between the two.

>Is m0n0wall up for this? I want to build a rack mount box (1U or 2U) with 2 Gigibit NICs for the
DMZ and LAN, plus 1 10/100 NIC for the WAN. Anyone have information on what kind of throughout I can
expect between the DMZ and LAN interfaces? I welcome recommendations on processors, RAM and NICs
also.

>The Netgear FVS124G is an example of commercial appliance that looks like it might meet our needs.
However, I have not read good reviews about it. The dual WAN  feature on the FVS124G would be a
bonus not a requirement. Again I prefer to build my own m0n0wall box.