[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Taco" <northpark at home dot nl>
 To:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] The future
 Date:  Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:40:54 +0200
Hi Manuel,

Only just been using the m0n0wall and very suprised of the quality and ease
of use. I am not a software developer and not an expert but perhaps you
could use my comment.

I agree that some tweaks should be made in the current version to extend
some of the current implemented features. These tweaks should not have an
enormous impact on the coresystem but would perfect the current
implementation, and should be suitable for many situations. (e.g. some
radius extensions :) )

For the future, maybe it is too "much" to build one system that can do
anything, because you would spend to much time thinking about the perfect
solution. If you would ask everyone for features, you would have an
impossible task to build a system that satisfies everyones needs.

Therefore it would be great to start over and have some modular approach in
the new design as you suggest. Then build several clean and easy to
configure systems for typical use (all based on the same modular approach,
but different combinations of functions/features):
internet access gateway
firewall/vpn router
voip gateway?
hotspot in a box?

For many of us these typical applications would be sufficient, however the
modular approach also enables people to customize a new platform according
to their needs. You could create a developer scene around your new m0n0wall
core. If a developer wanted to share his customized system with the rest of
the world, he should meet the requirements for such a platform: easy to
configure, easy to install, easy to work with just like m0n0wall. If its not
like that, no problem, just don't release it and keep it to yourself.

Best regards,

Taco