[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  James Sheridan <stuff at phosphor dash ink dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] The future
 Date:  Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:02:43 -0400
T. Lechat wrote:
> and I propose to base communication to this subsystem on a Soap
> approch style. And on an Ajax (very close to my svggraph concept)
> based webgui.

[snip]

>    - WebGui ajax style is more simple to build and to modify. It permits
> a high and complex level of interactivity.
>    - Last : Soap and Ajax are XML based, making a continuity of your XML
> config style...
>
> Note about component dev:
>    PHP5 Embedded Soap is very efficient.
>    One of the best and pratical ajax implementation is xajax.

I can't comment on the Soap side of things (not my area), but I concur
on the Ajax (esp. xajax) part. I'm starting to use this now and the
possibilities on the webGui side are VERY intriguing and it's rather
straightforward to use. Think of a config panel that responds to
buttons, sliders, etc. without reloading the page, for example.

The only requirement is Javascript available and enabled on the client
and a moderately recent browser as it uses XmlHttpRequest.

Platform-wise I like the small footprint (and thus cash outlay) of the
current setup, but the age of the OS does raise concerns. I'd like to
see a redesign done with as many "pluggable" bits as possible so you
could even possibly port to other OSes with only work to a well-defined
interface layer. Then you could try a couple, pick the fastest as the
"default" one and allow people to deploy to others if they need to with
much less effort.

--
James Sheridan