[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Fwd: [m0n0wall] Just Mac to get traffic out the door?
 Date:  Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:23:25 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bryan Catlin <bryancatlin at connectgroup dot net>
Date: Oct 13, 2005 1:55 AM
Subject: [m0n0wall] Just Mac to get traffic out the door?
To: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch

Is there a way to allow users out the wan without having them have to dhcp
first?  I guess where I am going with this is say a user has a pc that has a
fixed IP for there office or home and they do not change it is there a way
to still allow them to gain access to the wan port IE the internet without
having them change their IP settings to dhcp?

I have seen this on another box and for public locations would be a very
useful thing for mmm... more non technical users to get to the net.  On the
other box they use the mac only not Ips to pass the traffic.

Best Regards,

Bryan

You could setup a DHCP rnage on m0n0wall from 100-200, then put a
static IP on the the mobile user of say 50.

DHCP does more than issue an IP.
1. It tells the PC the gateway of last resort.
2. It tells the PC what DNS to use.
3. It can also tell the PC about WINS servers
4. ...etc, many more possibilities

If you give the pc a fixed IP for work, you will also need to give it
a fixed gateway, subnet mask and DNS, which may not work at home or on
the road.

- Don