[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Mirror port
 Date:  Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:59:25 -0500
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:45:49 +0100
Jonathan Marriott <jon at kiwiuk dot net> wrote:

> Is it possible to turn an unused ethernet connection into a mirror of a used
> one using monowall? Much like some managed switches do. I have a WRAP 3-port
> board and have one spare that I'd like to use to see what is going on with my
> Internet connection and use things like ntop and ethereal on.

	If you have an old hub (not a switch) you can put it in the
traffic path:

[ LAN ] -- [ m0n0 ] -- [ hub ] -- [ Internet ]

Then off the hub connect a PC to do the monitoring.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Oxymoron # 603: We're from the Government.  We're here to help.

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~