[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vince Van De Coevering <vpv at figaros dot com>
 To:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PDS2300 - Install procedures
 Date:  Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:09:05 -0700
I ran out of time and needed to put my spare PDS2300 into production so I'll
experiment with video/mouse/keyboard cable creation on the next spare I
acquire.

These are the steps I used to get m0n0 installed on my most recent PDS2300.

The PDS2300 shipped with a 10gb disk drive and 128 meg of ram.

1. Remove the cover (8 screws total, 6 for cover and 2 for CF)

2. Remove the disk drive (3 screws attach it to the MB and then lift off and
unplug the power cable)

3. Reinstall the cover but leave the CF card cover off

I used an old 8meg CF card I had lying around

4. Download Chris Buchler's latest m0n0wall live installer from here:
http://chrisbuechler.com/index.php?id=17

5. Boot any spare PC (I used my Dell laptop) with the m0n0wall installer CD

6. Choose the appropriate boot option

7. Login as root (no password)

8. Choose the right keyboard

9. Plug in your CF card reader and let the system detect it

10.  Find the CF device name (camcontrol or atacontrol, see the web site
referenced above)

11.  Copy the generic image to the cf card.  If you get an error you may
need to run newfs to fix the file system on the card (newfs /dev/<device
name>  in my case it was da0 so newfs/dev/da0)

12.  Make a temp mount point (/mnt/cf)

13.  Mount the device, mount /dev/da0 /mnt/cf (substitute your device name
for da0)

14.  Type the following: echo -P > /mnt/cf/boot.config
     You can substitute -h which forces the use of the serial console, the
-P says probe for keyboard, if you don't find one use the serial console.

15.  Type the following: sync
     This will force your changes to be written to the cf card

16.  Unmout the drive (umount /mnt/cf)
     I received device busy errors every time.

17.  Shutdown the PC (shutdown +0)

18.  After the system has been completely shut down remove the cf card

19.  Carefully insert the CF card into the PDS2300 (I have bent the pins in
the CF socket and shorted out one of these boards)

19.5.  Put the CF cover card back on the PDS2300

20.  Connect a serial cable between a PC and the PDS2100

21.  Start Hyperterminal (or your favorite terminal emulator) and set the
com parameters to 9600,8,none,1,hardware

22.  Power up the PDS2300

It will take approximately 30 second before screen activity begins  The
first lines should be
/boot.config: -P
Keyboard: no

Then the bootloader will take over and the system will boot to the VLAN
configuration questions and into the menu.

At this point you have the option to configure any of the 3 built in
interfaces.

I got my last 2 of these units (on ebay) for $10 each and $30 shipping, so
I'm deploying Celeron 600 systems with 128 meg of ram and 3 10/100 ports for
$25 each.

Vince Van De Coevering
IT Manager
Figaro's Italian Pizza, Inc.