[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com>
 To:  Kevin Bowling <kevin dot bowling at wans dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: The future
 Date:  Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:20:29 +0500
[1] OpenBSD. This may be at the leading edge as far as security is
concerned, it just doesn't have what it takes required when it comes
to the hardware support that a project like m0n0 needs. As far as I
can see, by using FreeBSD 6 we get the (most of the) benefits of
OpenBSD anyway. I have a great deal of respect for OpenBSD but
changing would be a pain for developers and a problem for users.
I vote for FreeBSD.

(2) Bandwidth Shaping. This is the most difficult part of mono for
most users. The shaping in PFsense (based on ALTQ, I believe) is even
more complex to setup than that in mono. It allows for much more but I
think that people will struggle with it. Not much point in having
something that most people are unable to use.
(I am sure that I will have the shaping in PFsense figured out soon -
at the moment I can use it on a very basic level. )
ALTQ may be better but dummynet works and is fairly easy to use. As
people start to understand ALTQ it may get easier to use.
Vote: Keep dummynet, maybe change over to ALTQ later on - I sure the
develops will have enough to chew on as it is.

[3] Multiple WAN support - load balancing would be really great. If we
are going modular then a BGP module would be fun to play with.

sai