[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Harvey <pbook at bagheera dot id dot au>
 To:  "Bryan Catlin" <bryancatlin at connectgroup dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Just Mac to get traffic out the door?
 Date:  Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:54:50 +1000
On 14/10/2005, at 11:56 AM, Bryan Catlin wrote:

>  Not to keep beating this down, but I do not want the users to have to
> change a thing on their laptops.  No matter what their IP settings are
> want the monowall to give them access to the Internet IE the wan side.
>  From
> what I understand this can be done by ignoring IP traffic and just
> using the
> MAC address.

 From what *I* understand this is impossible. It's not a matter of what
IP you have, but knowing where the gateway is. As I said before, all
traffic to anywhere outside the subnet the computer is on needs to go
through a gateway, and the client needs to know what gateway to use.
Thus a setting needs to be changed. This can be using DHCP or by manual
changes, but something has to change on the client. I can't think of
any simpler way to put it. IF you can get traffic to your m0n0wall,
then you can think about getting it through.

Andrew