[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: DHCP issue on 1.2stable
 Date:  Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:30:11 -0400
On 10/16/05, Jimmy Bones (Omega) <mhottie at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Has the developer looked at this yet, or is anyone else experiencing this
> issue now that some time has passed?

It's caused by using MAC spoofing on the WAN when using a Realtek NIC.
 It works in the 5.3-based versions (1.2b5-7), but doesn't work in any
4.x based versions because the rl driver seems to have either missing
or flaky promiscuous support in 4.x (at least that's my take on it).
Had some offlist discussion with the original poster, who said he'd
get back to me with what he ended up doing, but I haven't heard back.

If you're currently on a 5.3-based version and using a rl NIC and MAC
spoofing on the WAN, then you might have issues upgrading to any 4.x
based version including 1.2.  If upgrading from 1.11 or any 1.2 beta
other than 5-7, nothing has changed to cause issues like this.  He'd
have the same issue with 1.11 or any other 4.x version.

-Chris