[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Nardone <jnardone at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] performance comparison: nokia ip110 vs. watchguard firebox II
 Date:  Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:25:27 -0400

> > Basically, the Firebox left the Nokia in the dust. Using iperf, I got
> > between 74-88 mbit/sec between the networks. It also left the WAN
> responsive
> > in other runs of the test (i.e. the box wasn't crushed). The Nokia did
> FAR
> > worse, never exceeding 28 mbit/sec in either direction (LAN->OPT1 or
> > OPT1->LAN).
> >

> What are those results without polling?

Ok, I was wrong-- I had polling off on the Nokia. With polling on, I maxed
out at 30 mbit in either direction. As you noted later, interactive
performance with polling on improved dramatically. Just not throughput.

Glad to see an echo of "check for duplex mismatch".

I did doublecheck, though I agree duplex mismatch usually results in
drastically worse performance.

The WRAP and 4801 have the same CPU and can exceed 40-45 Mb without
> polling. And with lesser NIC's. CPU load spike suggests polling
> wasn't enabled or at least not functioning properly.

Yes, though (above) my performance doesn't really improve.

Anyway, it's odd. I wonder if it's an anomaly with the IP110's or with mine.
This is a fairly vanilla setup -- only a few NAT rules, nothing running
rampant on the network chewing up bandwidth, no captive portal/traffic
shaping/VPN activity, etc.

Joe