[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Willers" <splasher at gmx dot ch>
 To:  "M. G. (Michael) de Bruin" <mg dot debruin at buum dot nl>
 Cc:  bit at pipe dot nl, mk at neon1 dot net, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] dhpc lease list issue
 Date:  Sat, 3 Jan 2004 00:15:26 +0100 (MET)
> Bart Smit wrote:
>
> > Hi Manuel & lists (cc-ing -dev),
> >
> >> m0n0wall loses the DHCP lease database on reboot - this is a design
> >> choice.
> >

> > After actually digging up and reading the relevant RFC (2131), I feel
> > the need to reiterate my previously stated point that this is a bad
> > design choice. It conflicts with an explicit design goal of the DHCP
> > mechanism. To quote:
> >
> >  > The following list gives design goals specific to the transmission of
> >  > the network layer parameters.  DHCP must:
> > [...]
> >  >     o Retain DHCP client configuration across server reboots, and,
> >  >       whenever possible, a DHCP client should be assigned the same
> >  >       configuration parameters despite restarts of the DHCP
> mechanism,
> >
> > I really feel this leaves no room for slack (apart from the fact that
> > I'm one of those rare folks that is actually bitten by the loss of
> state) .
> >
> > Will a big "please" do? :-)
> >
> > --Bart

> I think you are going to have added cost as soon as you implement this:
> especially with a short lease time, your CF will wear out very soon.
>
> But: is it possible to use an NFS mount for these kind of things? If you
> really need it you probably don't mind setting up another server w/ NFS
> (eh... am I the only geek with to many servers? :)). Or, is this too
> far-fetched?
>
> Anyway, just a thought.
>
> Michael

if we are discussing about this it shout be possible to let the user choose
what option he wants.
sored on a cf card ( if big enough, maybe file size limit)
sored on a smb / nfs share.

but maybe this goes too far and breakes the simplicity of m0n0wall as
intended by mk

greets splasher (and sorry if my english is too bad ;))