[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Bart Smit <bit at pipe dot nl>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] dhpc lease list issue
 Date:  Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:04:49 +0100
On 02.01.2004, at 23:28, Bart Smit wrote:

> After actually digging up and reading the relevant RFC (2131), I feel
> the need to reiterate my previously stated point that this is a bad
> design choice. It conflicts with an explicit design goal of the DHCP
> mechanism. To quote:

OK, next time I get to install a commercial firewall box somewhere,
I'll check if it saves the DHCP lease database or just loses it on
reboot. If more than 50% of the boxes tested save it, we can talk about
doing the same in m0n0wall again. ;)

I just don't want any information other than the contents of config.xml
(which can only be modified by the user) influencing the behavior of
m0n0wall after a reboot. The DynDNS IP cache is an ugly exception to
this rule already (because there's no other way short of getting banned
by DynDNS), and I don't want any more of them.

Finally (and most importantly), let me reiterate that the DHCP server
in m0n0wall is intended only as a convenience to people with *small*
(home!) networks. Anybody with a network large enough to have a
dedicated server is very strongly urged to run DHCP on that server
instead of m0n0wall. Running services on a firewall isn't such a good
idea anyway.

- Manuel