[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Darth Moula <darth underscore moula at atlas dot cz>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [bayes] [m0n0wall] ASK - generic PC hardware requirements
 Date:  Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:38:44 -0700
At 07:27 PM 12/31/2003, Darth Moula wrote:
>Hi,
>my questions are (generic PC):
>- minimum recommended hardware configuration

any x86 CPU.  32Mbytes RAM.  One serial port.  Two network interfaces.  CF
card or floppy/CD-ROM or any hard drive.

>- optimum configuration

As above, pick faster CPU if you need more throughput.  More network
interfaces if needed.

I prefer the floppy/CD-ROM with no hard drive as you can build a system
with no moving parts.  Actually, I prefer even more a dedicated, embedded
system like the Soekris Engineering net4801.

>- how affects amount of RAM throughput speed?

Very little once you have enough for everything to load into it.  32 Meg
should be sufficient.

>- are there any clones of m0n0wall with simpliest configuration?
>(without VNP related components, Traffic shaper, SNMP, Wi-Fi, ...
>I do not need to use this features, if this free lot of memory)

It doesn't free that much.  It might make configuration less confusing for
newbies, but for simple applications that hasn't been much of a
problem.  Most of the configuration email on this list is from people
trying to bend m0n0wall into something other than a firewall (see below).

>- are there any clones of m0n0wall with bigger configuration? For example:
>FTP server + hard disk store

Not a good idea on a firewall.  Build the firewall as simple as possible,
then use a separate system on the LAN segment as a server.  You want your
firewall to be bullet proof.  The more services you run on it the more
possible holes you leave open.

>PS: sorry for my bad English

It's better than my Czech.

         -crl