[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Darth Moula <darth underscore moula at atlas dot cz>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [bayes] Re: [m0n0wall] ASK - generic PC hardwarerequirements
 Date:  Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:52:49 -0700
At 08:35 PM 12/31/2003, Darth Moula wrote:
>I try to run m0n0wall at Compaq Presario CDS 520: 486DX2/66 + 20MB RAM (it
>is impossible to add more RAM) + 2xNIC ISA (WAN,LAN) and I get OUT OF MEMORY
>:-(

20MB is not enough RAM.  Instead of adding more, can you replace what's
there with something more dense?  20MB usually turns out to be 4MB on the
motherboard and an add-in 16MB.  According to a quick Google search, the
CDS 520 has two memory slots that can support up to 64MB (68 total with the
4MB onboard).

   http://www.memoryx.net/pc6-1629.html

Pull out the two 8MB sticks you have in there now, stuff in two 16MB
sticks.  Be happy!

>Compaq Presario CDS 520 is "all-in-one" (monitor+computer together in one
>case), obsolete, but ideal for router or sometring like that.

Not with that little RAM.

If it has a hard drive, you =could= build a FreeBSD kernel with swapping
turned on, but that would not be a project for a beginner (and I suspect it
would make the GUI very slow).

>Now my m0n0wall is runnig on Celeron 333MHz + 128MB RAM + 3xNIC PCI
>(WAN,LAN,OPT1). I think, that 128MB RAM is unduly luxury. Is good idea to
>decrease amount of RAM to 32MB ? I try this and it seems be OK, but I don't
>know minimum/recommended/optimal size of RAM.

32MB is enough.  I don't know about where you live, but at the moment here
in the USA, RAM is cheap enough to not worry about it.

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228