[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Barnhart <cbarn at dideas dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  how do I setup wireless bridge (LAN-WI) between two Net4801?
 Date:  Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:59:17 -0500
I have a pair of Net4801 and would like to setup a wireless bridge between
two LANs.   The sis1 interface is "LAN", and wi0 interface is "OPT1".  The
sis0 interface is "WAN", but it is unused.

How does one do this?

What I've done (same thing to both boxes) -

I have the "LAN" interface configured with a private IP.  When I configure
OPT1, I select bridge with "LAN".  When I chose a bridge with option, the
only wireless config mode that is error free is "hostap".

I've configured both Net4801 boxes with the same SSID and channel, and am
not using WEP.

Before and after power cycles, under status wireless I see no associations
- suggesting that the boxes do not see each other.

When I configure one box to use BSS mode - and assign the OPT1 interface a
different IP, the hostap box does see the BSS box.  And I've been able to
talk to the wireless box without the LAN ethernet attached.  So - wireless
*can* work - but this isn't bridging.

I've played with the /exec.php and verified that both "LAN" and "OPT1" have
PROMISC mode set, and sysctl -a reports the following wrt to bridge(4):

net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: wi0:1,sis1:1
net.link.ether.bridge: 1
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw: 0
net.link.ether.bridge_ipf: 0
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw_drop: 0
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw_collisions: 0

Where did I go wrong?

TIA
Chris