[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill Kervaski <bill at kervaski dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic Shaping Question
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:22:10 -0500
Hi all.

I have a m0n0 box that I want to control http downloads from my LAN
(internal) network. (i.e., when a user wants to download a file, they
get shuffled to the bottom of the priority list).

I have two pipes setup, one for 3000kbit (called 'in'), another for
384kbit (called 'out'), downstream and upstream adsl respectively.

I setup a queue called 'http_in' pointed to the pipe 'in', weight '10'.
Another queue called 'http_out' pointed to pipe 'out' weight '10'.

I have another set of queue's weight '90' called 'everything_else'.

For my rules, I have set of  'any' rules that uses my 'everything_else'
queues.

My http rules is are set to source port HTTP and dest port HTTP.  This
is where I get confused - if I use a web browser, my source port could
be something besides '80' so should I set that to 'any' and just make
sure my destination port is '80'?  Because if I set them both to 'HTTP'
it doesn't seem to prioritize.

Also, is there anyway to verify how the rules are working?  My ISP isn't
really all that consistent with bandwidth so I don't know if my rules
are working or if it's just lag.

Any insight would be helpful.