[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping Question
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:03:30 -0500
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:22:10 -0500
Bill Kervaski <bill at kervaski dot com> wrote:

> My http rules is are set to source port HTTP and dest port HTTP.  This
> is where I get confused - if I use a web browser, my source port could
> be something besides '80' so should I set that to 'any' and just make
> sure my destination port is '80'?  Because if I set them both to 'HTTP'
> it doesn't seem to prioritize.

	Right...downloads should be source port 80, destination port any.
To prioritize outgoing HTTP requests it would be the reverse.

	Shaping downloading isn't all that scientific, since we don't
control what gets "shoved into the pipe."  In other words if the pipe is
flooded you lose control over the shaping.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Real programmers don't document.  If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~