[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaping Question
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:18:12 -0500
On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 10:03 -0500, Steve Yates wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:22:10 -0500
> Bill Kervaski <bill at kervaski dot com> wrote:
>
> > My http rules is are set to source port HTTP and dest port HTTP.  This
> > is where I get confused - if I use a web browser, my source port could
> > be something besides '80' so should I set that to 'any' and just make
> > sure my destination port is '80'?  Because if I set them both to 'HTTP'
> > it doesn't seem to prioritize.
>
> 	Right...downloads should be source port 80, destination port any.
> To prioritize outgoing HTTP requests it would be the reverse.

Not quite... source port should be any, destination port should be port
80.  To classify https connections as well, copy the above rule, but
change the destination to port 443.

Bill, do you really have that much http upload?  Do you have a web
server behind your m0n0wall?  If not, you probably don't even need to
bother with http_out.

Justin