[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] PPTP VPN Newbie Question
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:12:23 +0100
> I can't vouch for security but we use PPTP VPNs (on m0n0wall,
> Windows, and Linux servers) all the time behind NATed devices
> and never have a problem.

I concur with this. A number of our clients have quite a few staff working
remotely from a PPTP VPN connection and there are very rarely problems (only
problems are usually at hotels where access is limited to web browsing and
maybe pop3 if they're lucky).

Another nice thing about it is that it's a familiar interface. Many users
remember setting up dial-up connections, so if you don't have access to the
machine it's usually possible to guide them through setup over the phone.
I'm not sure I'd be able to do that with a third-party IPSec client, for
example.

Regards,

Chris