[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trouble Connecting to XO T1
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:01:10 -0400
On 10/18/05, jcassel at softwaresedge dot com <jcassel at softwaresedge dot com> wrote:
> there is a "large box"(no labels or text of any kind where the phone lines and
> T1 com in to the facility. This has a rj45 jack on it. currently that is then
> directly connected to the Netgear router with a standard strait though cat 5
> cable(rj45).

This sounds like an Adtran, or similar device.  In that case, that
RJ45 is Ethernet, the CSU/DSU is within that device itself.  Typically
devices like that are used to split a single T1 into X voice channels
and 23 - X data channels.  I have several m0n0wall's configured behind
Adtran's in that type of setup.

If the cables are definitely good, the NIC on the m0n0wall box is
definitely good, and you're definitely using the right type of cable,
the only remaining option is a complete failure of
auto-sensing/auto-negotiation (depending on how the existing end is
setup).  If you can, check the existing Netgear to see how speed and
duplex are configured on its WAN interface (assuming you cannot access
whatever the device is the T1 comes into).  I don't recall what type
of hardware you're using, but if, for example, that device is forced
to 100 Mb and you only have a 10 Mb WAN NIC, negotiation will fail and
you won't get a link light.  That's not the only potential for that
though, for example I've seen Cisco PIX to router connections with
nothing but a crossover fail in that fashion inexplicably when one end
was misconfigured (set manually) and the other was set to auto (not a
duplex mismatch, as usual, but a complete failure to negotiate.  It's
not very common, but it happens).

-Chris