[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 
 From:  Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 To:  Henk Zomer <henk dot zomer at hetnet dot nl>
 Cc:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] install problem on compaq 6150e could not find primary volume description.
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:06:19 -0700
I'm not positive, but shouldn't you be writing to the whole drive, and
not just a partition?

Try changing this: "dd of=/dev/ad1" to "dd of=/dev/ad" in this whole command:
gzcat /usr/m0n0wall/generic-pc-1.11.img | dd of=/dev/ad1 bs=16k

Let me know if that works.

Joe


On 10/18/05, Henk Zomer <henk dot zomer at hetnet dot nl> wrote:
>
> Chris,
>
> Ok, I now took the following steps:
>
> On 1 of my other computers which is capable to boot fro a cd, I removed the
> second HD and replaced it by the HD on which M0n0wall is supposed to run.
> This one has been formatted in FAT32 and is empty.
>
> Then I used your installer CD as boot cd.
> So far so good.
>
> atacontrol list works; second HD is recognized as SEagate which is ok.
> Then I applied this command in 1 line:
>
> gzcat /usr/m0n0wall/generic-pc-1.11.img | dd of=/dev/ad1 bs=16k
>
> then appears the message that the disk is full....
>
> I'm getting a little bit desperate now :-(
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
>
> Met vriendelijke groeten,
>
> Henk Zomer
>
> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: Chris Buechler [mailto:cbuechler at gmail dot com]
> Verzonden: maandag 17 oktober 2005 17:57
> CC: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
> Onderwerp: Re: [m0n0wall] install problem on compaq 6150e could not find
> primary volume description.
>
>
> On 10/17/05, Henk Zomer <henk dot zomer at hetnet dot nl> wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > Booting the live installer cd gives the message.
> >
>
> that definitely suggests a major issue with the system not being able
> to boot from CD then.  The live installer CD is FreeBSD 5.4, m0n0wall
> is 4.11.  Typically if m0n0wall won't work because of some quirk in
> 4.11, 5.4 will still boot and work fine.  I'd look to the other
> suggestions provided earlier today by Don and Holger.
>
> -Chris
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: m0n0wall dash unsubscribe at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
> For additional commands, e-mail: m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: m0n0wall dash unsubscribe at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
> For additional commands, e-mail: m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
>
>