[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] install problem on compaq 6150e could not find primary volume description.
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:15:02 -0500
From: "Henk Zomer" <henk dot zomer at hetnet dot nl>

> On 1 of my other computers which is capable to boot fro a cd, I removed
> the
> second HD and replaced it by the HD on which M0n0wall is supposed to run.
> This one has been formatted in FAT32 and is empty.

> Then I used your installer CD as boot cd.
> So far so good.

> atacontrol list works; second HD is recognized as SEagate which is ok.
> Then I applied this command in 1 line:

> gzcat /usr/m0n0wall/generic-pc-1.11.img | dd of=/dev/ad1 bs=16k

> then appears the message that the disk is full....

Take a disk, and hook it up slave on your own modern desktop.  Boot into
windowsXP and use physdiskwrite to write the image.  I usually juice a few
drives at a time.  Slap one in that troublesome system.  If it fails, it is
an issue with that system.  I have an old HP PPro server that will give
"Read Error" and a hard drive, but boot a CD.  Never bothered to figure out
why.

                            Lee