[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Paul Taylor <PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com>
 To:  jcassel at softwaresedge dot com, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Trouble Connecting to XO T1
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:07:55 -0400
John,

	Your message is a little confusing...  Is there a router involved
that takes the T1, and you are simply attaching to the LAN port of that T1?
If so, it should simply be a crossover connection..

Or are you trying to attach the T1 directly to Monowall?  If that is the
case, you must have a special card and a special build of Monowall
software.. (Manuel was selling two of the cards along with the special build
a week or two ago)..

As for the bad internal press on the "M0n0wall/real firewall" issue, I'd
have to say that Monowall is more of a real firewall than a lot of products
on the market...  I moved from a Watchguard SOHO6 to a Monowall, really
because the SOHO6 wasn't a "real firewall" in one important way... It
allowed you to have a LAN and a DMZ behind it, but there was no way to
create rules on what could go between those two networks... It was either
100% open, or 100% closed off.  When questioned about it, Watchguard support
said that to get that level of control I would have to buy a Firebox X.

I sold my SOHO6 on Ebay and got about half of what I needed to get a new
net4801.

With Monowall, you have full control over exactly what can go between any of
your interfaces...  That's a real firewall in my book.

Paul