[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] one ethernet card
 Date:  Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:18:45 -0400
On 10/19/05, sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> On a side note, is it possible to use one ethernet card and VLANs with
> m0n0wall?  m0n0wall doesn't accept any configuration with less than 2 cards
> right?

Less than two *interfaces*, not necessarily cards.  I believe you can
use one physical interface with a VLAN as the second interface, or use
two VLAN's as the two interfaces.  All my VLAN networks are routed by
L3 switches, so I haven't tried a VLAN setup on m0n0wall just yet. I'm
assuming, because the first interface assignment option is "do you
want VLAN's", you can set them up first and then assign them along
with anything else.  Then you have what Cisco calls a "router on a
stick", where you just have one Ethernet from the switch and route
into and out of that interface.

-Chris