[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joel <joellists at iwcenter dot com>
 To:  mono at fabiand dot net
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP VPN Newbie Question
 Date:  Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:22:02 -0400
I can't vouch for security but we use PPTP VPNs (on m0n0wall, Windows,
and Linux servers) all the time behind NATed devices and never have a
problem.  And our users are typically not too technical.  I have a
feeling the NAT devices that break the GRE protocol are pretty much
outdated and have been replaced by now.  Any cheapo broadband router
nowadays supports it.  If it doesn't, just have them buy a new one for $20.

-- Joel

Daniel Fabian wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm currently using IPCop as firewall for our company, but would like to switch to m0n0, as I need
multiple DMZs (which IPCop does not support, but m0n0 does). However, before I install m0n0, I had a
couple of questions. I tried to look through the archives and documentation, but I'm still unsure
about one thing.

> In our setup, roadwarriors need to connect to m0n0 and establish an encrypted connection. However
the clients might be behind a NATing device. The documentation says with IPSec VPN that's not
possible. Can PPTP VPN do that? And what about PPTP VPN security? I've never heard anything about
PPTP VPNs. Could anyone perhaps supply me with a link?