[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ethernet Cards and Appliances
 Date:  Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:53:34 -0500
From: "Chet Harvey" <chet at pittech dot com>

> They take the old PC133 memory. IMHO customers like to see an "appliance"
> rather
> than a desktop as their firewall so the extra $50 is worth it. I found
> customers
> were skeptical when we would bring in anything but an appliance.

Perception is %110 of our business.  (Shows in many decisions)  The %90 we
do to make it work is not important. :-)  Now those cases are nice, and I am
still looking for other options, but I have a hard time paying more for less
hardware.  As a comparison, here is some stuff from a wholesaler who happens
to be local to me.  (And yet I still have them ship half the time...)

Very small (appliance like) Case    $62.99
http://www.directron.com/2699r.html
Still very small Case                       $47.99
http://www.directron.com/v30.html
Still very small Case                       $43.99
http://www.directron.com/dm317.html

Single ethernet 800mhz board        $105.00
http://www.directron.com/epia800.html
Duel ethernet 1Ghz board               $148.00
http://www.directron.com/epiacl10000.html

Cheap 128 meg memory                $12.99
http://www.directron.com/128266.html

Cheap D-Link NIC                        $4.99
http://www.directron.com/dfe530tx.html
Good Intel NIC                            $24.00
http://www.directron.com/8460c.html
Very nice Intel Duel port NIC        $34.00
http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=nic/pila8472-bk&txtMfgPartNo=&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=pw

Psudo Hard drive                            $18.90
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS32MDOM40V

So, a all new, loaded m0n0 box with a small case, 128m ram, an Intel duel
port nic, and one slow WAN port on board with a CF "hard drive" comes to
$214.88  And if you have a pile of Intel NICs laying around, or use the
cheap D-link you are well under $200.  And keep in mind that the onboard VIA
ether ports are in the same class as the D-link...  And if you suddenly
decide to order from the, make sure you drop my name. :-)

                            Lee