[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tom <tomvaldes at comcast dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  helping remote users - what's recommended
 Date:  Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:31:01 -0400
I need an easy way to help my parents with their computer (XP) and am
looking for suggestions.
I obviously need it to be secure, but I don't want them to have to deal
with enabling and disabling port forwarding, so the port forwarding
options would always have port forwarding on.

The options I am looking at are the following:

--logmein.com (like gotomypc.com but free)
reqires the logmein software running on their machine.  I could probably
have them turn it off and only have it running when I'm going to connect.

--VNC solution (UltraVNC, TightVNC, etc)
Use port forwarding to their machine.. They would start VNC server when
I need to connect and turn it off when I am done.
If I leave port forwarding always on, but the VNC software is not
running and therefore their machine is not listening on the port, the
machine should be safe..correct?

--Remote Desktop
Use port forwarding to their machine.  Allows anyone to hit their
machine since it is always running..  Obviously I would set it for
password access.

thanks,
tom