[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Marcelo Webber" <marcewebb at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Shaping Question: Several Pipes for WAN
 Date:  Tue, 25 Oct 2005 02:55:38 +0000
Friends:

I've been wondering about some different configurations for the Traffic
Shaper, and I would like to share with you and ask some questions:

Default Configuration (with Magic Shaper Wizard):
WAN Pipe UP 128K
WAN Pipe DOWN 1024K
Queue UP HIGH
Queue UP BULK
Queue UP HATED
Queue DOWN HIGH
Queue DOWN BULK
Queue DOWN HATED

Now: What would happen if I divide WAN Pipes in 2:
WAN Pipe UP 96 (HIGH + BULK)
WAN Pipe UP 32 (HATED)
WAN Pipe DOWN 768 (HIGH + BULK)
WAN Pipe DOWN 256 (HATED)

Q1: Do Pipes Sum total amount and uses WAN for 1024K?
Q2: Or should I build LAN pipes to divide the total bandwith?

Note 1: This is done because I have too much traffic in Hated Queues, and
Navigation dies if I'm not connected all the time.
Note 2: I also been thinking in dividing in 3 differents pipes (High / Bulk
/ Down), in order to guarantee better response for High Priority packets.

Q3: P2P programs use Small Packtes for syncronization and transfer, do they?
Q4: Should it be convenient to change Small Packet Rules (Up and Down) to
the Bulk Queue?

Thanks for all,

(Hope it's clear enough)

Descarga gratis la Barra de Herramientas de MSN
http://www.msn.es/usuario/busqueda/barra?XAPID=2031&DI=1055&SU=http%3A//www.hotmail.com&HL=LINKTAG1OPENINGTEXT_MSNBH