[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dr Who <brokenby2703 at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  newbie. moving from m0n0+adsl modem (ppoe) to m0n0+adsl router
 Date:  Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:13:13 +0800
Hi to all.

I've used m0n0 for about a year with the following configuration.

m0n0 cdrom
1x SMC dc0 (lan)
1x SMC dc1 (wan)
1x Zyxel ADSL modem (pppoe in wan)

With the above configuration, I just entered userid/password in the WAN
interface configuration and m0n0 connect straight to my ADSL ISP with no
hassle!

But I have just replaced the old Zyxel modem with an SMC BARRICADE ADSL2
'router with buildin modem' and here comes some problem.
I have 'less-than-zero' experience in routing/bridge/etc...

So please forgive my 2 stupid following questions...

[1] This SMC router comes with a lot of featuers as firewall,etc...
Questions: are they useful combined with m0n0, or better to disable them and
leave to m0n0 the whole control ?

[2]
I don't know how to setup m0n0 to work with this new SMC router and to setup
the ADSL.
For what I understand it could be either a router or a modem, but it is not
working as my previous modem zyxel.
I can setup the userid/password inside the configuration of the router
itself, so it will dial and connect to my ISP (router).
But how to setup the WAN interface of m0n0 ? (suppose the router has IP
192.168.0.1 <http://192.168.0.1>)
I believe no more 'pppoe', right ? So what ?

I tried to replace the Zyxel with this new SMC directly in m0n0 without
changing any configuration (pppoe/userid/password/etc) in m0n0, but the WAN
interfance remain down (it doesn't connect to my ADSL ISP);

Sorry my stupid questions.
Thanks to anybody willing to help me...

D.