[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  NAT mysteriously stops
 Date:  Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:15:40 -0500
I have a client that got stung by the fact that SonicWall started
enforcing the IP limit on their SOHO products (only 25 IPs allow out to
internet on 25 user license). He upgraded the firmware and all heck
broke loose. So, last Wednesday we switched to the CDRom version of 1.2,
while we wait for his net4501 to arrive.

I do not have any information about the PC he is running it on. I do
know it has Intel NICs (fxp) - I enabled polling.

The WAN connection is pppoe. I am using Server NAT to add 1 additional
IP. I have Inbound NATs defined for ports 24 (altered SMTP) and 80
(HTTP) - both go to one server (Win2K with Exchange 5.5). I have the
PPTP server turned on using IAS on the Win2K. There are only 4 users
that would use PPTP - only one or two during the day.

Twice in the last week the inbound mail has stopped. The email is
filtered by a third party. The port change (to 24) was done to eliminate
spam "seepage" - i.e. email getting to the Exchange from other sources
than the filtering firm. The PPTP is still live, but I cannot connect to
port 24 (and 80 I guess did not try). Rebooting the m0n0wall seems to
fix the problem. The client thinks it is linked to rebooting one of his
servers, I don't see how this would cause a problem. The only thing the
m0n0wall is looking to his servers for is the RADIUS (IAS) on the DC.

Any Ideas?

James W. McKeand