[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Whitman <it at gilroypres dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  No Internet Access via OPT1 wireless interface
 Date:  Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:37:29 -0700
Been going round and round with my new WRAP 3054 from Netgate without
success trying to add wireless connectivity to an existing network.

I've provided more history / desired requirements below; here is the
current config and issue:

m0n0wall 1.2b7
WRAP 3054 with 1 nic and 1 wireless card (atheros b/g)

LAN -> sis0
WAN -> vlan0 -> sis0
OPT1 -> ath0

OPT1 is serving DHCP and wireless clients can connect, but cannot
reach internet / email, etc. Tried various firewall rules without
success and finally opened everything wide open:

           Proto / Source / Port / Destination / Port
LAN:     *           *              *               *               *
WAN:    *           *              *               *               *
OPT1:   *           *              *               *               *

Still no success getting through. This is relaxed as it can get
right? (BTW - this is within an existing firewalled internal network,
so please don't yell at me just yet!)

Other configs / things I've tried:

I thought perhaps there was an issue with WAN being assigned to a
vlan, so I switched LAN to vlan0 and WAN to sis0, but when the WRAP
reboots, the wireless card is now turned off and I cannot access the
webgui to turn it back on.

Originally, I was trying to set things up with LAN -> ath0 and WAN ->
sis0, since that is really all I need here, but could not ever get
through the WAN port to access the webgui in order to turn on the
wireless card (yes I saw the FAQ item 16.18 - couldn't get it to work).

I did have a brief moment of joy when I was able to bridge OPT1 onto
LAN and everything worked fine... until I realized I couldn't use
Captive Portal - which is an imperative to the project.

What I am trying to accomplish is add a wireless AP to an existing
network that will use captive portal and radius to allow various
levels of access to both the network and the internet.