[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Tom'" <tomvaldes at comcast dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] helping remote users - what's recommended
 Date:  Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:34:39 +0100
> --VNC solution (UltraVNC, TightVNC, etc) Use port forwarding
> to their machine.. They would start VNC server when I need to
> connect and turn it off when I am done.

I use TightVNC as remote support for nearly all our clients. You don't need
any port forwarding at all on the user's end if the user will be in front of
the machine when you're helping them (which is good, since then they'll
learn and know what to do in future).

Install TightVNC as a service and get it to start automatically on bootup
(so you get the V in the system tray). When the user needs remote support,
they can right click the icon, hit "add new client" and enter your machine's
address. This requires the listening daemon to be running on your machine,
which will by default use port 5500.

I tend to define support1.mydomain.com, support2., etc. to allow clients to
connect to whichever machine I'm currently working at for support when they
need it.

Generally it makes them more comfortable than thinking you can connect to
their machine at any time you want.

Regards,

Chris