[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Edward Saipetch <beamz at twentybelow dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Bridging, NAT, and vlans
 Date:  Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:15:35 -0500
I've been going through the archives and am hoping someone can set me
straight here.

This is my network setup:

WAN/DSL (sis0) --- LAN (sis1 - 192.168.154.0)

                      |  DMZ/OPT1 (sis2/vlan1 - 192.168.155.0)

                      -- WLAN Private/OPT2 (sis2/vlan2)

Basically I've got a 3com AP with multiple SSID's that supports vlans.
The WAN link is nat'd on DSL. I have an open SSID using the DMZ. It is
isolated with certain holes punched through to the LAN but unrestricted
NAT traffic out through the WAN. I would like to now bridge OPT2 with
the LAN because the new vlan uses an SSID using WPA2 etc. So I would
like unrestricted access between the LAN and OPT2 and OPT2 and the WAN
interface. If I set up a rule for OPT2 to have access to anywhere then
it will go out through the WAN but can not contact anything on the LAN.
I thought with bridging I didn't have to set up any additional firewall
rules.

I don't have bridge filtering on but it seems that without firewall
rules for OPT2, no traffic goes anywhere.

A revised diagram would look like this:

WAN/DSL (sis0) --- LAN (sis1 - 192.168.154.0) -(bridged)- WLAN
Private/OPT2 (sis2/vlan2)

                      |  DMZ/OPT1 (sis2/vlan1 - 192.168.155.0)

Forgive me if my explanation doesn't make sense, I'll try to clarify if
I can.