[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic counting/monitoring
 Date:  Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:27:38 -0500
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:09:42 +0200
"jagodex" <jagodex at marina dot pl> wrote:

> Since long time I am reading this forum trying to find sulution for the
> following issue:
> how to track/monitor bandwidth usage, transfers per IP addres/user.

	There are several methods.  Here is one that does not depend on
m0n0wall for this function.  Wire things like so:

[m0n0wall] -- [hub] -- [switch] -- [your PCs]

Connect another PC to the hub and use a program like BWMeter
(desksoft.com).  The hub is necessary to duplicate all packets flowing
between the network and m0n0wall.  An alternative to a hub would be to
use a smart switch that can be configured to duplicate all packets, but
if you have a hub lying around that's a cheap solution.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - There are no more bugs. ///\oo/\\\ ///\oo/\\\///\oo/\\\

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~