[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NAT mysteriously stops
 Date:  Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:03:34 -0400
On 10/27/05, James W. McKeand <james at mckeand dot biz> wrote:

> Did not see anything like that on the state table page.

that was my first guess too.

> The max I saw
> was 75 entries. Is there a maximum number of states that the page will
> display?

yeah, it's 300 by default.  it's changable on the Advanced page,
though big numbers will take quite a while to load the states page.

> They could surf the web, but email was not coming in.

that eliminates any state table exhaustion.

> Turned out that at
> least one sender was trying to bypass the third party email filter by
> delivering directly to the exchange server (not using the MX records for
> the domain) they have fixed that issue. I have not heard anything else
> from them.

Sounds like a case of perception not matching reality, where the
perception was "NAT is broken" while the reality was the other
person's mail server was broken.  if it happens again, try to telnet
to port 24 from the Internet and manually send an email.  Syntax is as
follows, for the reference of anyone that doesn't know (lines with **
around them are what you type in, rest is server output):

---
**telnet mail.chrisbuechler.com 25**
220 mail.livebsd.com ESMTP
**helo there**
250 mail.livebsd.com
**mail from:cbuechler at gmail dot com**
250 ok
**rcpt to:cmb at chrisbuechler dot com**
250 ok
**data**
354 go ahead
**test**
**  **      (note: blank line)
** .  **    (just a period)
250 ok 1130424996 qp 62396
**quit**
221 mail.livebsd.com

Connection to host lost.
---

if you can manually send email that way, from some host on the
Internet, something else is broken.

-Chris