[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian <mono at ricerage dot org>
 To:  D Syde <m0n0wall at evermore dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, RP Smith <rpsmith at hotmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Starcraft over PPTP VPN
 Date:  Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:59:53 -0400
D Syde wrote:
> Lest anyone be confused: this D-side person is not me.
>
> D. Syde

Sigh. Lets make sure *no one* is confused on this issue. I am this
D-side person. Indulge me the clarification of how this unfortunate
incident came to be:

On the freenode IRC network there exists the #m0n0wall channel, formed
by likeminded individuals to help m0n0wallers with any issues they may
come across. This is a channel where I frequently devote my time and
energies.

Yesterday, after having become quite frustrated with the fact that my
mail client of choice was being troublesome, my inability to convey my
answer further added to my aggravation. As is evident, my response
in-channel was... slightly harsh. It should be noted that I never ONCE
expected the translation of what I meant to say to become a mere
cut-and-paste. I have never once conducted myself on this list in such a
fashion, nor do I ever plan to. It is truly a shame that the person
responsible for mailing my admittedly crass response verbatim does not
possess the acumen to realize that my liberal use of the vernacular
*does not belong* here. Clearly I recognize this, and I took the time to
both explain and apologize privately to the original poster. As I have
apologized to him, I do so now to all of you. For your reference, I
submit the text of this mail below.

 Brian

--<quote>--

Hi Michael,

On the #m0n0wall unofficial IRC channel (freenode.net), my nick is
D-side. A few moments ago I was without a mail client I could respond to
the list with, and asked if anyone in the channel could relay that
message on to you.

Apparently the person who posted this has a clear problem with the
concepts of tact and diplomacy, and for my part in this, I apologize. I
certainly did not mean to convey any disrespect to you or make light of
your plight, and its a shame that this had to happen.

The embarrasment of this event does not change the fact that you are in
fact out of luck with Starcraft over PPTP. The fact of the matter is, no
m0n0wall based VPN strategy will enable you to passs broadcast traffic.
This is not something that IPSec, OpenVPN, or PPTP (or at least, the
implementation in use by m0n0wall) can afford. Should it be feasible,
the PoPToP pptpd that works under linux CAN be made to pass broadcast
traffic.

Feel free to respond with further questions, or to tell me off. Neither
will be ignored.

 Brian

--<end quote>--