[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bryan K. Brayton" <bryan at sonicburst dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] If you use linux before.... why m0n0 now?
 Date:  Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:09:41 -0500
> The only thing that saddens me a touch is the requirement for some
kind
> of BSD setup to develop for it. I run a couple of Linux servers here
and
> have no real desire to switch to BSD and learn all about it etc, so I
> can't really contribute code :( I'd love to have a poke about with
> m0n0's innards but, at present, it's just not practical for me to do
so.

> Cheers,
>
> Chris Taylor

You know, VMware just released the VMware Player Beta for free (as in
beer).  The player lets anyone use a preconfigured VMware or even MS
Virtual PC virtual machine and it runs on Windows or Linux.

The player will not let you create your own VM; however, maybe Manuel or
one of the other contributors has a full copy of VMware or Virtual PC
and would be willing to set up a dev environment on a VM and make the VM
available for download.

This would make a nice, easy, preconfigured dev environment for anyone
to just download and start using.  You'd still have to learn a bit of
BSD (which in my opinion was much easier than picking up linux), but
hey, software can't do everything for us...yet!

Just a thought.
-Bryan