[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NATed services
 Date:  Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:17:54 -0500
It's a limitation of how NAT and IP itself works. The only way to do
this would be to (insecurely) make all packets that come from inside the
LAN appear to come from the nat box itself. This happens regardless of
platform (Linux, *BSD, so-called "hardware firewalls", etc.).

The only way to do this properly is either through the use of properly
installed DMZ's or an internal DNS (which can be a *caching* DNS server,
which is always a good idea). If you have 50 machines you'd have to
change the DNS for, it means you're not using DHCP, so it may be another
reason for you to implement DHCP/internal DNS already.

And remember, this is not a *problem* with
ipfilter/pf/iptables/ipchains/whatever, it's a *problem* with the way IP
itself works, since NAT is a "workaround".