[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk
 To:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] If you use linux before.... why m0n0 now?
 Date:  Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:09:39 +0000
Hi,

> does the job then why change?  Had IPCop still met my criteria then I'd
> still be using it and wouldn't have looked elsewhere.

I concur - having also originally started with my own distro + iptables,
I couldnt do with the continual patchfest, so went to smoothwall...a very
quickly onto IPCop (politics and attitude). I stayed with IPCop for a
couple of years and got introduced to m0n0wall via google whilst looking
at some work-related projects. that night m0n0wall became my personal
firewall at home. not only was the singular control interface much nicer
to go home to (after working in IT all day you really dont want to do more
work at home! ;-) ), I also had no need for a local proxy anymore..hence
also a quieter and more stable system. couple that with no remote-acces shell
(more secure...no need for worrying about SSH problems!) and its more
successful packet shaping (okay, its not perfect, but still!), it runs
faster than Linux on same hardware footprint, and it happy with the VPN
work i've needed to do. and hey! the upgrade system is beautiful :-)

alan