[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Kitchens" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] If you use linux before.... why m0n0 now?
 Date:  Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:32:18 -0500
For me M0n0wall was a no-brainer. Being a former Smoothwall Reseller and
dealing with the "(politics and attitude)" problems, following IPCop for a
while and then having the author of Smoothwall tell me about m0n0... It's
been m0n0wall ever since.

 The idea of having smoothwall call home every time it booted was originally
a documented thing used to track licences, IPCop, being a fork, used it but
didn't say much about it and obviously wasn't licenced.

 Smoothwall commercial products were not cheap, you had to pay for VPN,
Proxy Arp was called smoothhost, rules wizard, etc, where m0n0wall gives me
all those for FREE! With a much easier interface I may add, setting up VPN
in SW or IPC was much more difficult!

 I'm not a programmer so the underlying OS hasn't been an issue for me. I
did not like all the updates of Linux however. I feel freebsd has been much
more stable than the SW/IPC platforms. Running almost all my clients and
myself on Soekris equipment, my m0n0walls gives me everything I need for
business and home use in one small, quiet, and simple to use package.

 Hats go off to Manuel and all the contributors to a fantastic project and I
am very excited to see where m0n0wall will go with the next release.
Improving a perfect product is a very hard thing to do! :)

Dave