[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] If you use linux before.... why m0n0 now? (Topic fork - Development)
 Date:  Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:56:19 -0600
From: "Marko Vukovic" <marko at aquamanta dot co dot za>
> Lee Sharp wrote:
>> From: "Chris Taylor" <chris at x dash bb dot org>

>>> The only thing that saddens me a touch is the requirement for some kind
>>> of BSD setup to develop for it. I run a couple of Linux servers here and
>>> have no real desire to switch to BSD and learn all about it etc, so I
>>> can't really contribute code :( I'd love to have a poke about with
>>> m0n0's innards but, at present, it's just not practical for me to do so.

>> I so agree.  I mean since most of m0n0wall is actually just text files, I
>> should be able to unpack and modify quite a bit from a Windows box, or
>> any other system.  You should only need a full system to compile
>> binaries. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about it to know why this
>> hasn't been done, or if it could be done.  Or at least, I don't know
>> enough, YET. :-)

> Well, one can do some limited fiddling with the interface:
> http://doc.m0n0.ch/dev/#id2594002

But this is somewhat like working on a car with the hood closed, and no
peaking under the hood.  Oh, and you can only use parts made from ice, and
they will melt. :-)  I want to unpack a file system, fiddle with the files,
and repack it to an unloadable image.  I am working on it...  First, I will
do it under BSD, then work on porting the tools to do it under Windoze.

                            Lee