[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil Christensen <phil at reflexionsdata dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  strange m0n0 issue
 Date:  Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:10:15 -0500
Hi Folks,

I've started configuring a Soekris net4501 box with m0n0wall, and i'm
running into a strange issue. I've been unable to ping the WAN
interface of the device, so I followed the troubleshooting flowchart
in the docs. In the process of double-checking the WAN IP, I noticed
that it was missing from the status screen, despite being set
statically:

WAN interface
Status                 up
MAC address            xx:xx:24:c4:ea:ad
Gateway                xx.x.170.161
Media                  none
In/out packets         907/8 (68 KB/5 KB)
In/out errors          0/0
Collisions             0

LAN interface
Status                 up
MAC address            xx:xx:24:c4:ea:ac
IP address             xx.x.170.189
Subnet mask            255.255.255.224
Media                  100baseTX <full-duplex>
In/out packets         3617/3414 (370 KB/2.59 MB)
In/out errors          0/0
Collisions             0

When I change the CIDR netmask from /27 (the correct value) to
anything else, the IP and netmask appear in the status screen, but
I'm still unable to ping the WAN address.

Incidentally, I've also made sure there are no rules set in the
firewall, and that my client machine has its gateway set to the
proper IP (of the LAN port on the firewall box). This is basically a
stock install, the only modifications I've made are to turn off DNS
forwarding and DHCP services, and change the LAN (and WAN) addresses
to a static ip.

I'd greatly appreciate any help,

-phil