[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil Christensen <phil at reflexionsdata dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] strange m0n0 issue
 Date:  Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:27:48 -0500
On Nov 1, 2005, at 4:16 PM, fisch wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 01.11.2005, 16:10 -0500 schrieb Phil Christensen:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've started configuring a Soekris net4501 box with m0n0wall, and i'm
>> running into a strange issue. I've been unable to ping the WAN
>> interface of the device, so I followed the troubleshooting flowchart
>> in the docs. In the process of double-checking the WAN IP, I noticed
>> that it was missing from the status screen, despite being set
>> statically:
>>
>> WAN interface
>> Status                 up
>> MAC address            xx:xx:24:c4:ea:ad
>> Gateway                xx.x.170.161
>> Media                  100baseTX <full-duplex>
>>

> are your sure that you have the correct network cable? I assume you
> have
> to use a cross-link-cable, because the WAN interface at a soekris is a
> network card not a switch port.

Well, I wasn't using one because it's plugged into a switch that has
an auto-uplink port. Just in case, though, I used a crossover cable
and tried a simpler setup, but the same problems occur. Incidentally,
the "Media" line above that I sent originally was incorrect (saying
'none'), so I've changed it here.

The thing that confuses me is why the IP/netmask do not appear when I
select the correct CIDR netmask, but do appear when I select an
alternate netmask.

Thanks,
-phil